Platelet Rich Plasma, PRP
Many people are familiar with the term plasma. It is essentially the liquid part of the blood. Your blood contains small solid components (red cells, white cells, and platelets). Platelets contain numerous proteins known as “growth factors” that are extremely important to the process of healing injuries.
Platelet Rich Plasma, or PRP, is simply plasma with far more platelets than what is normally found in blood. The high concentration of platelets results in a high concentration of growth factors. Studies have shown that the increased growth factors in PRP can potentially speed the healing process. Athletes such as Tyson Gay, Rafael Nadal, and Maria Sharapova have all benefited from using PRP regenerative therapy.
Benefits to using Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) include:
- PRP is healing properties naturally found in your blood.
- Contains building blocks, growth factors, anti-inflammatory properties and bioactive markers to promote wound/tissue healing.
- Helps to recruit your own stem cell to the affected area of damage.
- Can be used as a booster in allograft or Stem Cell Therapy.
- Used in tendonitis/tendinopathy, muscular damage, bursitis, joint injection to help cartilage repair. (mild – moderate arthritis)
Questions about PRP? Give us a call to schedule an consultation and we’ll be happy to answer all of your Platelet Rich Plasma questions!